Last Friday, the Eczema Support Group had an information packed sharing session by senior dermatology nurse Sister Wong who is deeply passionate about skincare.
For those who missed the session, we learnt a few key points:
1. Skin Aging Effects. These include:
- Drier & itchy skin, due to loss of oil glands
- More fragile & thinner
- Bruise more easily, due to loss of skin cell support around blood vessel
- Takes longer to heal
- More loose skin, due to from loss of elastin/ collagen in skin (elasticity)
Aged skin shows up as forehead lines, fat loss in cheek, nasolabial folds, hollowing of mid face, vertical wrinkles, jaw contours and chin wrinkles.
2. Causes of Skin Aging – There’re both natural intrinsic aging and extrinsic aging factors, many of which we can take action to avoid:
- Sun exposure – damages elastin fibre in skin
- Squinting – sunglass to reduce squinting in sun
- Repetitive facial movements
- Smoking – more wrinkles, dull complexion
- Overuse of soap
- Bathing in hot water
- Diet – not enough fruits & vegetables, too much sugar and refined carbohydrates
- Alcohol – dehydrating
3. Sun Protection – Select a broad spectrum – both UVA and UVB protection, with at least SPF 30 for Singapore sun and choose one that is zinc oxide/ titanium dioxide based which less reported to irritate skin.
4. Moisturizing Skin – Select one that is
- Affordable – Continual use is important
- Not irritate skin
- Without top irritants like fragrance, preservative, paraben, propylene glycol, color/dye
- Fewer the ingredients, the less likelihood
- Highest % ingredient is named first – Water
- Product safety – Established company, trials, stability
5. How to Moisturize – Apart from the tips below, senior dermatology nurse shared about avoiding contact with flame after moisturizing as certain components of cream may be flammable.
- Within 3 minutes after shower
- Gently and generously
- In direction of hair growth
- Avoid contamination of tub – use spatula
6. How to Shower – Showering is a daily affair (and a must!) in hot weather Singapore and knowing the right way to shower will serve our skin well in the long-term.
- No hot water – dries skin
- No soap – alkaline, drying; use gentle cleanser (bath oil or colloidal oatmeal)
- No long shower – no more than 10 mins – Drying for Skin
- No scrubbing/exfoliation
- No rubbing dry – pat dry instead
Thank you to all who attended and the National Skin Centre staff especially Sister Wong who has been fervently supportive of the group! Subscribe at the blog top right corner to stay tuned for more support group updates!
2 replies on “Eczema Support Group – Skincare and Skin Aging”
My skincare products help you get younger, healthier looking skin so you feel gorgeous no matter your age! http://bit.ly/1GSbbND
Thanks for dropping by, have a good week ahead.