Yes, some studies indicate evidence of behavioural disturbances for children with severe eczema from a young age (childhood anxiety, withdrawal, depression). Parents of eczema kids would know there’s likely psychological impact without reading research. Why?
- No Sleep, Brain can’t function – cranky.
- So much stress as an infant, something may just go wrong as the brain is wiring itself loads at that time. (If you’re a parent of a very young baby with eczema, you can visibly see the discomfort and agony caused by the itchy rash. Plain torture.)
- Being looked at with curious eyes. Being avoided. Being bullied.
- Whole family is stressed and short-fused. No one dare say living in such environment is conducive for health.
So how to reduce the chance of your kid going nuts?
The model answer is:
- Control the eczema, seek treatment.
- Recognize signs of depression.
- Seek a support group.
- Try relaxation techniques.
- Educate and raise awareness in your child’s school.
#SkinishMom answer is:
- Sleep whenever you can.
- Love yourself, love your spouse, love your child. The whole family united can take on challenges.
- Positive mindset.
What’s your survival techniques?