Many moms have asked who to recommend for their baby’s doctor – whoever we decide on, I feel that the doctor must be specialist in children and have the best interest of the child. It is also very important that we, as parents, be confident and partner with our child’s doctor. This is particularly the case if you’re prescribed oral steroid, you have to trust your doctor and follow through, giving up halfway makes it more difficult to decide on the next treatment step.
So, here’s the list of doctors who see eczema children, take the poll at the end or add in your own in the comments.
1. Prof Hugo Van Bever – My baby’s doctor, Head and Senior Consultant, Division of Paediatric Allergy, Immunology & Rheumatology, at NUH. He’s from Belgium 🙂 During his consultation, I find that he takes time to understand and form a proper diagnosis; I never told him this, but I was really afraid of bringing my baby to a hospital to get a skin prick test. Borrowed his book ‘Allergic Diseases in Children‘ from the Singapore’s library and felt more assured when I read that he cares deeply for his chronically ill patients.
2.Dr Lee Bee Wah – Consultant Paediatrician and Clinical Paediatric Immunologist/Allergist, The Child and Allergy Clinic, Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre. She’s recommended by my general practitioner whose children have allergies and see Dr Lee. See a post here contributed by her and as far as I read in Singapore Mom’s forums, it’s all positive. I’m not sure about charges though, my GP told me charges depends on duration of consultation.
3. Dr Liew Woei Kang – Paediatrician, Special Interest in Allergy & Immunology, SBCC Baby & Child Clinic. We’ve met and he’s active in driving initiatives related to allergy children. He also consults in several of Singapore’s hospital with children clinics. Dr Liew is the President of Asthma Allergy Association in Singapore.
Hospitals with Children Clinic
4. KK Women’s and Children Hospital – They have an allergy specialty that manages eczema, food allergy and intolerance. A/Prof Anne Goh Eng Neo is the Head & Senior Consultant. Also have another specialty in rheumatology & immunology, A/Prof Thaschawee (Tash) Arkachaisri is the Head & Senior Consultant.
5. National Skin Centre – They have a Paediatric Dermatology Clinic, and some of the doctors listed here also do visit consultation there.
6. Raffles Children Centre, Raffles Hospital – They have a paediatric medicine specialty, with Dr Veronica Toh and Dr Lim Yit Jean listed. Do check if they have specialists in child dermatology, allergy/immunology.
7. Mt Alvernia Hospital – They have different children clinics within the same hospital, do check first the doctor’s specialty before making appointment. Kinder Clinic is one of the clinics with a branch in Mt Alvernia; they have an paediatric allergy, immunology and rheumatology specialty. Here’s a list of their doctors, do check with them who is the specialist in the above field should you want to make an appointment.
8. Gleneagles Hospital – Likewise, double-check doctor’s specialty.
9. Polyclinics in Singapore – I think they have doctors who treat eczema, though not specializing in children. For those who don’t mind a longer waiting time, you can go to polyclinic first and get a referral to NUH. As far as I know, the difference between going to NUH straight, or getting a referral, is the latter doesn’t allow you to choose which doctor and possibly, a longer waiting time. The other doctor, A/Prof Lynette Shek, same dept as Prof Hugo, also has many positive feedback from moms in forums.
A final reminder
Generally, I recommend parents with severe eczema child to see specialists and not just pediatricians or general practitioners. This is particularly so as skin prick/blood test is administered in hospitals. Do note that Changi Hospital, Tan Tock Seng and Singapore General Hospital do not have a children clinics. If your favorite doctor has been left out, do leave their names in the comments!