As you know, I’ve been committed to helping eczema families, since this very first post in 2011. I’m still doing so 2 years from then, working with dermatologists, nutrition and parenting experts to help you better manage eczema in your family. However, there’s no use to any of this to the mom who I can’t reach out to, and in order to reach out to more, I’m learning about social media and from other moms like Susan and Janice of 5minutesformom.com, the host of this blog party that takes the twitterverse by storm every year. Last year I was late in joining, this year, I think I’m the earlier ones!
Also, it’d make my day if you find my post helpful, and share it with your friends over at your social media, or if you’re not into any of the techy/media stuff, leaving me a comment will make me happy too! As Marcie has learnt to say, ‘Thank You Very Much!’
Quick update: I’ve won PicMonkeyApp 6 months’ use via the twitter party, TU V Much!
I’m one of the partner bloggers for Singapore’s Rise and Shine Expo, and the neat part of this expo is that they also address dermatology (read one of the founder’s eczema journey here).
Their expert panel includes dermatologist, Dr Audrey Tan, who has answered two dermatology questions on their site here. Below is an extract, do read Dr Audrey’s full reply:
What are the side effect of applying steroids on a baby less than 2 years old and what are other effective cures other than steroids?
Dr Audrey Tan: It is safe to use a topical steroid on your son’s skin as long as the steroid is of the potency appropriate for the degree of skin inflammation, and it is applied only on affected skin…
What kind of baby products should I use on my baby who has mild eczema problem? Are there any special ingredient I should look out for or avoid when buying products? Can my baby continue with swimming since swimming will dry out the skin?
Dr Audrey Tan: Applying a moisturizer is an important part of the daily skin care routine for your baby with mild eczema…
Rise and Shine is also holding a carnival on 3rd March 2013, Sunday, 8.30am to 12.30 pm, at The Lawn @ Marina Bay. Dr Amy Khor is the guest of honor, and there’s goodie bags, fun activities and talks relevant for kids, see below poster on how to register!
AND the FIRST TWO PEOPLE (in Singapore with valid email address) to COMMENT in this post will receive TWO Adult tickets FREE for the Carnival. The early bird ticket is worth S$8 each. Giveaway ends at 3pm this Thursday 28 Feb 2013.
1st, Happy New Year and wishing that all our children will not be itchy scratchy in 2013!
2nd, if you’ve noticed I’ve already had a busy start to the new year, so much so that I’ve missed yesterday’s post (I post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday) – I beat myself up for missing the post, not lining up enough, missing 3 out of 6 daily jogs for the past week, putting on weight (hopefully all muscles) and not loving my family enough, too much distraction with watching the Suits (Diva Universal airing Suits season 2 next Monday 8pm) and reading one too many James Patterson novels. As you sense by now, I’m distracted so I’m in need of some focus in 2013, which brings me to
3rd, my resolution for Eczema Blues in 2013. The acronym is MARKET, to remind myself that the top priority is to get more people to know about this blog, otherwise, who’s reading all the 300 posts to date, including 74 eczema cartoons! I’m getting back to basics, so Marketing 101 for me. It’d still be all about eczema, so fret not, I’m not publishing the 40 cartoons for each chapter of Exodus (bible) that I’ve drawn here (that’s another reason why I’ve been so busy!). I’ve been drawing a cartoon every Monday, and publishing posts every Wednesday and Friday. That’s way too much if I’ve to spend time to market my blog, which I am. So, I’m going to Relax while I’m alive and go easy on myself, likely just Monday and Thursday now. No worries though, I’m likely not going to be implementing Wordless Wednesday and give you some picture of Marcie or of Singapore or of my home-cooked dinner to look at.
Here’s the more important bit – as my wise pastor said in the last Sunday of 2012 sermon, we should work on ‘what not to do’ list rather than a ‘to-do’ list. I’d be kicking out what I feel is stale in this blog (and in my life!) and work on creative stuff of my own. If you didn’t know, I design Christian bookmarks that have traveled to many parts of Africa. Also, I’d definitely want to enjoy myself in this process, otherwise, you’d find me writing a burn out post by mid 2013 (as I’d written in 2012!)
THANK YOU for all your support, love everyone who’s reading this blog and share some love by dropping me a comment from time to time? Share about my blog on your facebook? Thanks!
My blog may look a little off these few days as I’m switching the look (i.e. wordpress theme) – Why I switch? Decided to go with Twenty Eleven theme, which is developed by the wordpress team – hoping it’d be more secure and updated with wordpress updates.
Thanks for your patience and bearing with the ‘little-off’ look while I figure how to get it looking neat.
Happy Valentine’s Day and here’s free for your download an image that you can use in whatever non-commercial manner, meant for stressed mom/dad of eczema child to drop a love note to your spouse! Click on the image to get a bigger version you can use.
It’s a wonderful gift, marking the one-year anniversary of my blog! Eczemablues.com’s first post was on 24 January 2011 ‘Turning Blues to Bliss’ that explained why I started this blog – to help stressed out parents have a place to laugh (Monday cartoons) and a place to get concise information (Wed posts). Since its birth, Eczemablues.com has featured many interviews with guests who are leaders in their field and doctors who help with Friday Q&A. My first guest is Jennifer Roberge, who founded the EczemaCompany.com, an online store selling eczema products for children, including my A to Z Animals book! She’s so kindly nominated me for this Liebster Award (Thank You Jennifer!)
So what’s Liebster Award?
It’s an award given to friends who have great blogs that ought to be read by so many more people! (That’s my version as I can’t find THE definition, except that many bloggers who received this award wrote it’s meant for people with less than 200 followers)
And there are rules for accepting this award, which I’ve complied!
1. I’ve said Thank You to Jennifer of EczemaCompany
2. I’ve selected my 5 blogs to recommend for this award and will be dropping comment on their blog to let them know. I’d love to also nominate TheRealSuperMum and Dagmar Bleasdale because they are such smart and kind ladies but I think it’d go against the spirit of the award cos they are so popular!
3. I’ve copied and pasted the award on my blog.
4. I’ve faith that the 5 people I’ve nominated will keep spreading the love of Liebster Award.
The 5 Blogs & Special Bloggers I Nominate are:
1. SneezyWheezy – I love the two moms behind this blog, a blog relating to allergy for children. I love them because they have kindly invited me to guest post (even when noone knows me in the online world), invited me to their playgroup and introduced me to Asthma & Allergy Association which is helping me to administer my donation to low income eczema patients – the VERY FIRST in Singapore.
2. VivaWoman – I love this beauty and fashion blog that contains many beauty tips relevant to Asian woman – best part? The blogger behind this is Sesame and she’s based in Singapore! Sesame is also a very kind lady who has helped me spread word on the eczema fund, if only I can find more Singapore bloggers to spread the word!
3. Unhandicapping – I love this blog as it tells the story of a mom journey, taking care of her son with autism. I love the mom Rhiannon Fieri because she’s so supportive in her tweets to me when my girl has chickenpox and when I struggle with co-sleeping and parenting when my husband’s tied up with work.
4. LifeonManitoulinReviews – I love this blog cos I don’t have to keep up with all the giveaways and new products for moms cos C is doing that! C is also very kind and helps to spread word on the eczema fund, plus she’s a great influencer on Klout.
5. EndEczema - This is a new friend I’ve made on twitter and I’m so happy to find another blogger spreading awareness on eczema and in a very professional manner too!
That’s all – btw, to my hubby, I need to give you an award for being supportive of my eczema initiatives. We both know it’s already so tough taking care of an eczema baby; without your support, I wouldn’t have published 110 posts, drew a children book, created a calendar, set up a fund, went for support group meetings while keeping the house spick and span and our girl pretty and bright! (Phew! Such a mouthful and all within a year’s work!)