Forum

Exclusive Breastfeeding May Reduce the chronicity of Eczema in Childhood  

Mei
 Mei
Admin
(@momm)

In this paper that was presented in February 2019 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology(AAAAI), it was concluded that Exclusive breastfeeding may not prevent eczema or eczema diagnosis, but may play a protective role in decreasing the chronicity of eczema in childhood.

Due to mixed evidence on whether breastfeeding is protective, the researchers set out to examine the association of exclusive breastfeeding with reported eczema diagnosis and active eczema in childhood. They found that exclusive breastfeeding duration was not significantly associated with general eczema diagnosis. BUT for children exclusively breastfed for 3 months or more had significantly lower odds of continued eczema at 6 year follow-up as compared to those who were not breastfed or breastfed 0-3 months.

My take is that the results had to be balanced with other studies, including those showing risks of prolonged breastfeeding. It seemed though that more than 3 months is good enough? As such, I think there is no need for mothers to beat themselves up over not being able to persist in breastfeeding beyond say 4 months 🙂 

My own breastfeeding journey was a struggle, and even buying the right breast pump was difficult. I learnt later (too late!) that I ought to have started pumping milk earlier to get the milk supply going when the latch on was not so good, and that you really have to get a double electric pump. I got a manual single pump and literally got a scolding from the lactation consultant. So some of breast pumps to consider:

Double Electric Breast Pump, Yunbaby S19 Portable Breastfeeding Pump Ultra Quiet Hospital Strength

Bellababy Double Electric Breast Feeding Pumps Pain Free Strong Suction Power Touch Panel

Medela Pump in Style Advanced with Tote, Electric Breast Pump for Double Pumping, Portable Battery Pack, Adjustable Speed and Vacuum, International Adapter, Built-In Bottle Holders

Topic Tags
Share: