This is the last of the short video series by two Mom Dietitians, previous videos were on Magic Phrase to end feeding battles and Mom’s Role in Feeding Kids. Today, it’s another short video on what Happy and Healthy Family Mealtimes should be. Dietitian Natalia Stasenko, RD is no stranger to this blog as she had provided valuable information on a Toddler Nutrition series covering
How Much to Eat
What to Eat
What Not to Eat
In this video (click link here then input your email to view the 2nd and 3rd video), the following tips are shared:
- Picky eating typically starts at around 2 year old.
- Either of the extreme approaches are wrong, either (i) Give up serving healthy selection of food (Mom’s Job!) and cater to what the child wants and when he/she wants it! OR (ii) Controlling and turn meal time to be a battle session.
- A Happy and Healthy Mealtime should incorporate selection of foods, including healthy options and what your child normally likes to eat. The whole family sits together and each pick their own foods from the serving.
- It is not advisable to have a separate meal time for the child = Sending message that he/she is not expected to eat what the family eats.
- Inculcate a positive attitude to eating, valuing family meal time and trusting the child to feed himself/herself (the child’s job!
P.S. I’VE SIGNED UP AS AFFILIATE FOR THIS PICKY EATER CLASS, BUT MORE SO AS I’VE WORKED WITH NATALIA BEFORE AND SHE’S VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT KIDS NUTRITION.